Friday, June 4, 2010

So Brave!


Over the past three weeks, Zach has been spitting up more and more, some even projectile and soaking not only himself at each feeding, but also one of us. So, back to the doctor again, as I knew this could not be a normal condition. Dr. Alcantera immediately scheduled an upper GI for our little man at TC Thompson Children's hospital to find out for sure if he had a case of acid reflux, or if there was a complication with his intestines that might require surgery.

The test was this morning, and I must say our little man was so brave. He didn't cry one bit during any part of the test, not even when presented the bottle of barium to drink, or when the doctor tilted the x-ray table to various angles to analyze his body's digestive track.

The results...it was confirmed that Zachary does have acid reflux (no surgery needed, thank goodness), however he also is found to aspirate from time to time, which may lead to some liquid to drain into his lungs. The recommended first step in aiding...I now have to pump all my milk, then mix it with a thickening agent to help weigh down the milk in his stomach. Dr. Alcantara also prescribed Zantac, along with a swallow test to see what additionally can be done to improve Zach's condition.

I just pray that Zachary feels better soon. We know the spitting up has been uncomfortable for him, although he has hardly fussed at all. What a super sweet baby!

2 comments:

Todd and Courtney said...

What a super sweet baby. Poor little guy!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, Zach (and Mommy and Daddy,too)!!! I know your big sister will look out for you as well.

Can't wait to meet and hold and snuggle with you soon!

Love,
Aunt Cindy

PS...Happy Belated Anniversary to you! :)