Sunday, August 29, 2010

Miss Independence

A two year old has new found independence that no one really warns you about...you just happen to stumble across it one day...but the way it hits you...you will never forget!!!

My eye opening experience:

Riley was hungry, so I asked her to come to the pantry with me and pick out a snack. She pointed to the granola bars, so I took one from the box and handed it to her (first mistake). "No, no, no" she said, crossing her arms and stamping her feet..."I get, I get". So, I put the granola bar back in the box, brought the box down for her and she rummaged through the box herself, making sure she did not pick the one on top, as that was the one I had originally picked. As she was trying to open the granola bar she started to get frustrated, so I took the bar and opened it for her (mistake number two). "No, granola bar, no granola bar", were the infamous words as she proceeded to jump up and throw the bar on the ground and run to her room crying "no granola bar". At first I truly didn't understand, and I tried to soothe her, and then it hit me. She wanted to open the wrapper all on her own. So, I put the bar back in the wrapper and gave it to her, but mind you...she is no fool...she still would not budge, and the tantrum continued. Last resort, I ate the granola bar in front of her, thinking she would give in (yes...mistake number 3).

Results...pick your own battles and how long you want them to carry on. I asked Riley..."Do you want your own granola bar?" "Oh, yes," she managed to get while still sobbing. And from start to finish on round two...I didn't help one bit. Yes...it may have taken longer than I would have thought possible, but she ended up eating the entire granola bar all on her own...smiles included.

1 comment:

Todd and Courtney said...

That sounds just like Lauren!!