Friday, August 28, 2009

Life Beyond the B-O-T-T-L-E

Riley has not had a morning bottle for 2 weeks, so today, we moved forward with the next step in the weaning process...no afternoon bottle! Since it was a rainy day, we both slept in, as we knew we would need some extra zzzz's to get through any rough withdraw spells. We even stayed in our jammies most of the day and just played and played all day long! The game plan was to have as many distractions throughout the day to keep her mind off the "you know what". So, we played the drums and tested out different sounds using the back of the puzzle, a bucket, and an old pan.

And of course, we danced, jumped and even watched bits and pieces of Sesame Street.

(Riley has developed quite the mischievous little laugh!)



The results...unbelievable!!!! Riley had about 4 oz. of milk with breakfast and morning snack and another 3-4 oz. at lunch. She almost fell asleep in her high chair again, so she didn't seem to miss her afternoon bottle at all. The day went sooooo well, that I thought, let's push our luck and bypass the nighttime bottle too! JD was on board, so we gave Riley more milk at dinner and a little with a bedtime snack...and voila...there was not even any fussing at bedtime. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it...but she also put herself to sleep on her own after a little cuddle time from each of us. AMAZING!!! Perhaps we should have bought a lottery ticket because I don't know if we will ever be this lucky again!

I wonder what day 2 will bring???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Taht is fantastic Sweet Pea. You are growing up to be such a "BIG" girl. Looks like a set of drums are on the horizon for Christmas. Not sure what Mommy and SDaddy think of that. I love you dance moves and your giggles and how you obey your mommy. You are Super.
Love, Hugs and Kisses for all.
Grammy/MOM