Thursday, May 24, 2012

Stitches

I always said Zachary would have stitches by the time he turned 2...so I was off by ten days.  This is one day I will not soon forget, especially since there will be a scar to remind us of the event.

Miss Ruth, the Assistant Daycare Director is the one who made the call, and fortunately I heard the buzz of my personal cell phone while at my desk at work.  I knew something was wrong, for Zach was already on an antibiotic for a sinus infection, so I knew he wasn't running a fever...and sure enough all I heard when I answered was the screaming in the background of our little man.  I was instructed to come and pick up Zach right away, as he fell and needed stitches.

When JD and I arrived, Zachary had fallen asleep in Miss Autumn's arms, but was well cared for with an ice pack on his head.  Of course, I could barely look at his sweet little head, as the gauge was wide open.  The bleeding had stopped, but Z had a knot the size of a golf ball in his forehead and the cut was just so deep and wide.  Good thing JD was with me to drive us to the emergency room.
Zachary woke up as we were leaving and only wanted JD to hold him.  He didn't cry again, not even when JD buckled him in his car seat.  He was the best sport ever...thru the check in at the hospital to the wait with numbing gel on his forehead.  Zachary was even a trooper when we first laid him on the exam table...but then by the time the doctor has started the stitches there were 4 of us holding him down and trying to distract him.

After 3 stitches and a good smearing of glue, Zach was rearing and ready to go...

Nap time lasted all of 30 minutes...and there was no pain meds for this big guy.  If we didn't have the pics for proof, you would never know our little guy fell head first into a glass door and split open his hard little head.  

Two years old, two trips to the emergency room in one week...one dislocated elbow and now 3 stitches.  Is this really what it means to be "all boy"?  

No comments: