We drove into the wee hours of the morning on Saturday with our destination at the end of this beautiful southern drive, complete with Spanish moss trees.


Our home away from home...Hilton Oceanfront Resort on Hilton Head Islan...and a room with a view. Perfect!
The beach was amazing, with the sand dunes acting as a natural barrier to disguise the never ending row of hotels, condos and beach homes.
The beach seemed to stretch forever, especially when the tide was at it's lowest. In the morning, there may have been only 15 yards of beachfront, while by early afternoon, the it tripled in size.
Having the man-van (VW Routan) was perfect, for it allowed us to pack literally everything we needed...even our Radio Flyer. I know JD missed the 4-wheel drive functionality, but overall, I wouldn't head back to the beach without our wagon...it was great for towing the kids and all the beach gear too!
Beach bum #1...Riley loved running in the surf and even attempted a little boogie boarding on our kick board that we towed along. She could dig holes in the sand for hours...the bigger the better...but no chance for a sand castle to be constructed, as she was ready to destroy each tower before Daddy even had the bucket flipped upside down.


Beach bum #2...and I do mean BEACH BUM! I would not be surprised to see this kiddo living within yards of the beach when he grows up. I was thinking he might just be a talented swimmer, but if we would move closer to the coast, I am quite certain he would take up surfing. Zachary loves, loves, loves the water. He too enjoys digging in the sand, but we were constantly chasing after him, as he made his get-a-ways to the surf...and this boy would not stop at ankle deep water...he would walk as far as we would let him...and didn't seem to mind waves crashing at his chest and splashing him in the face.

Too bad this beach is a 7 hour drive...we would love to visit more often.After a long morning in the sun, naps were warranted for our sweet babies. Zach loves to snuggle with his blue bear and blankie.
Late afternoons or early mornings were great for taking in a little bike action, which is actually a very popular mode of transportation on the island, as bike trails can take you just about anywhere you want to go. We thought we would try the trailer to haul the kiddos. What fun, despite a bit of sibling rivalry, following by tears off and on...at least until Zach would dose off. Maybe I thought it was so much fun, as I wasn't the one pulling the trailer of 50+ pounds.


Since we had a small kitchenette in our room, we packed what we needed for quick breakfasts and lunches in our room, then headed out to explore the island for dinner. Our favorite stop...Hudson's, which is the oldest restaurant on the island. They had a great seafood selection and to-die-for hush puppies, which Riley still has asked for almost every night since.
Beside the hush puppies being out of this world, the view over the sound was pretty amazing too.
One evening, we decided to drive to the southern most point of the island, South Beach, to walk the pier. Riley and Zachary had a ball running around and watching the fish bite and jump out of the water.
For the 4th, we took in the excitement of Harbour Town.
Can you believe the size of this tree???
It was perfect for climbing!

After dinner at an outdoor cafe near the marina and face painting in the park, we spent a bit of time at the playground...Riley loved it all!
I am sure we will be back again one day, as we couldn't help but fall in love with this quaint, secluded, picturesque island.

1 comment:
It looks like you all had a wonderful time on your 4th of July get away. Glad the weather was great. I love all the pictures of Ry and Zman, but especially the two
of them on the back of the bike and
the story on how well they got along sitting back there. What a hoot!!!!! I am sure you will be building more memories like this for years to come.
Love,
Grammy/MOM
Post a Comment